Tuesday, January 8, 2013

An American in Paris

The number of visitors for the current exhibition at the Grand Palais is beating all  records.
 Edward Hopper is on everybody's mind in Paris: or you did see the exhibition or you did not. Being part of the latter is almost embarrassing. I saw Soutine, Dali, Van Gogh, Yue Minjun,  but...I missed Edward Hopper.
My third attempt was thwarted when after standing for one hour, I realized that my only progress in the line was due to people getting closer to each other to fight the cold and a sign stated that it would be three hours before we would be able to get in the building (the day before was five hours).

Back to the States, I missed Hopper in Paris!


photograph by the author
"Nighthawks", Edward Hopper, 1942, at the Art Institute of Chicago

No comments: